Here's what's going on this week:
Thursday, February 14
- Today from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday from 10:15 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Sunday from 11:15 a.m. to 4 p.m. is a 53-minute loop of Felix The Cat Shorts curated by Sara Meyers in the Curtis Theatre at George Eastman House. [source: Dryden website, 2013-Feb-13]
- At today's Focus 45 Lunch Series in the Curtis Theatre at George Eastman House from 12:15 p.m. to 1 p.m., the Head of Motion Picture Collection Information and Access, Jared Case will talk about "representing Eastman House on the Turner Classic Movies network and at the TCM Classic Film Festival, meeting Robert Osborne, working with the TCM staff, and introducing films in Hollywood." [source: Eastman House website, 2013-Feb-11]
- The Bertrand Russell Society meets tonight at Writers and Books at 7 p.m. with David White speaking on Russell's Continuing Presence in Philosophical Theology. [source: Writers and Books website, 2013-Feb-11]
- Performances of The Rochester Plays by Spencer Christiano will be in the Todd Theatre on the University of Rochester campus. Part 1: Attraction is tonight, Saturday, then the 20th, 22nd, 27th, and March 1 at 8 p.m. and on February 23rd and 24th at 3 p.m. Part 2: Escape is tomorrow, the 21st, 23rd, 24th, 28th, and March 2 at 8 p.m. and on February 17th at 3 p.m. (Note that this means that on February 23rd and 24th, you can see both parts in one day.) [source: Facebook, 2013-Feb-11]
- The Eastman Jazz Ensemble performs tonight in Kilbourn Hall starting at 8 p.m. [source: Eastman School of Music calendar, 2013-Feb-11]
- Tonight starting around 8:30 p.m. at the Bug Jar is the Valentine's Day Punk Rock Heartbreak with Timeshares, Declan Ryan, and Keeler. [source: Bug Jar calendar, 2013-Feb-11]
Friday, February 15
- Tonight around 6 p.m. for Happy Hour at Abilene is Teagan and Lou (from Teagan and the Tweeds) followed by The Jane Mutiny around 9 p.m. [source: Abilene website, 2013-Feb-11]
- Tonight at 7 p.m. at the Baobab is a screening of Blacking Up: Hip Hop's Remix of Race and Identity (2010, Robert Anderson Clift, U.S., 58 min.)
Hip-hop was created by urban youth of color more than 30 years ago amid racial oppression and economic marginalization. It has moved beyond that specific community and embraced by young people worldwide, elevating it to a global youth culture. The ambitious and hard-hitting documentary Blacking Up: Hip-Hop's Remix of Race and Identity looks at the popularity of hip-hop among America's white youth. It asks whether white identification is rooted in admiration and a desire to transcend race or if it is merely a new chapter in the long continuum of stereotyping, mimicry and cultural appropriation? Does it reflect a new face of racial understanding in white America or does it reinforce an ugly history?
[source: Baobab website, 2013-Feb-11]
- In the 3rd Floor Ballroom of the Tango Cafe Dance Studio is The Sweetheart Swing Dance starting around 8 p.m. (with an intro-to-swing class from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.) [source: City Newspaper events calendar, 2013-Feb-11]
- Tonight and tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at the MuCCC is The Metallic Series with Red Dirt Dance.
While the dances range between more abstract meditations of beauty to a depiction of unrequited love, each work delves into a unique theatrical world. Karl Rogers, Assistant Professor of Dance at The College at Brockport, crafts quirky movement that highlights the virtuosity of the body while calling attention to the theatricality of the everyday. When not accompanied by Rochester's music maven Carson Moody, Rogers' choreography frequently employs hummable tunes as it illuminates new perspectives on relationships among people, things and the world. The Metallic Series invites the audience to consider their own perception of the human experience with dances rooted in the contemporary.
[source: MuCCC website, 2013-Feb-11]
- Meanwhile at 8 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays through March 2 and at 2 p.m. on Sundays through March 3, the Bread and Water Theatre presents Chronus by Bennett Fisher.
After losing a congressional race in Tucson, AZ during the 2008 general election Republican candidate John Chronus retools his campaign for a senate seat during the 2010 midterms. As he struggles in a tight primary, Chronus and his team begin to court an increasingly powerful demographic, the Tea Party. Fisher's play takes aim at the state of politics between liberal and conservative factions sparing no one in this taut drama. [source: Bread and Water Theatre website, 2013-Feb-11]
- Tonight at the Bug Jar is Alex Patrick's Birthday Show featuring The Absolutes, fantastic ska-influenced, synth-laden pop/rock from SPORTS, and punk hard-rock band Green Dreams starting around 9 p.m. [source: Bug Jar calendar, 2013-Feb-11]
- Bang! Bros, Scott Stapp, Horaflora, Tumul, Licker, and Rash will be at the Sacred Sphinx starting around 9 p.m. [source: Carbon Records calendar, 2013-Feb-11]
- Apparently racing from Abilene, Teagan and The Tweeds are scheduled perform at Sticky Lips Juke Joint BBQ tonight starting around 8:30 p.m. [source: Sticky Lips website, 2013-Feb-11]
- Bogs Visionary Orchestra will be at Acanthus tonight starting around 11 p.m. [source: Facebook, 2013-Feb-11]
Saturday, February 16
- Today from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. is a Winter Tour of Mount Hope Cemetery starting at the South Gate. [source: City of Rochester website, 2013-Feb-13]
- The Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York (NOFA-NY) is hosting a Community-Sponsored Agriculture (CSA) Fair today from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Bausch and Lomb Library. [source: RochesterFarm Yahoo! Group, 2013-Feb-7]
- Today from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Memorial Art Gallery is a Renaissance Consort: a concert with the Italian Baroque Organ. [source: MAG website, 2013-Feb-11]
- UofR's comedy improv troupe In Between the Lines will perform tonight from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Spurrier Dance Studio on the University of Rochester campus. [source: UofR website events calendar, 2013-Feb-11]
- Groove Juice Swing and Rochester Swing-in present The Third Annual Mardi Gras Masquerade Ball at the Memorial Art Gallery tonight from 8:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. with The Roc City Stompers. ("Festive attire is encouraged: feathers, sequins, bright colors and of course, masks!") [source: Groove Juice Swing website, 2013-Feb-11]
- Tonight at the Bug Jar is the annual Valentine's Day Massacre with The Grinders, Minds Open Wide, Clyde, Babayaga, Meg, Steve, and Grimey, Pink Elephant, and The Fox Sisters all starting around 10 p.m. [source: Bug Jar calendar, 2013-Feb-11]
Sunday, February 17
- Caution! Artist at Work! is today from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Central Library's Arts, Music and Recreation Division on the 2nd floor of the Bausch and Lomb Public Library Building. "Toi Clawson, member of the Genesee Valley Calligraphy Guild, will be demonstrating calligraphy techniques in the library. Stop by, meet the artist and learn about the art of beautiful penmanship." [source: Monroe County Library website, 2013-Feb-11]
- Then from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Rundel Auditorium on the 3rd floor of the Rundel Memorial Building is another installment of Rochester's Rich History Series… How We Became Who We Are with Jeff Spevak and Ernie Coleman speaking on Chasing the Wind. [source: City of Rochester website, 2013-Jan-16]
- The Laura Cortese Acoustic Trio, and Dietrich Strause will perform tonight at 8 p.m. at the Lovin' Cup.
Welding the propulsive grace of ancient fiddle styles to disarmingly open-hearted original songs, Laura Cortese has emerged among the most intriguing and versatile, musicians in the bountiful New England post-folk scene.
[source: Bop Shop website, 2013-Feb-11]
- Great, haunting noise-based loops and vocals from City Harvest Black, Ian Downey is Famous, Tugboat, and Tony Nelson will be at the Bug Jar tonight starting around 9 p.m. [source: Bug Jar calendar, 2013-Feb-11]
Monday, February 18
- Tonight's screening of Side Effects (2013, Steven Soderbergh, U.S. 105 min.) at 6:40 p.m. at the Little Theatre will be followed by a discussion led by Johannes Bockwoldt as part of their RIT Faculty Speaker Film Series. [source: Little Theatre e-mail, 2013-Feb-13]
- Tonight at 8 p.m. in Kilbourn Hall is Ossia New Music's 3rd Concert of the season. [source: Ossia New Music website, 2013-Feb-11]
Tuesday, February 19
- Today from 12:12 p.m. to 12:52 p.m. in the Kate Gleason Auditorium of the Bausch and Lomb Library is a discussion of Ghosts of the Rundel Library Building with Assistant Library Director Sally Snow, and Members of Monroe County Paranormal Investigations. Could it be that the public library has actually fallen for this fraud?:
The Ghost Hunters episode that aired on the SyFy channel this past November tried to prove what many who work at Central Library have suspected all along—the Rundel Building is haunted. Members of Monroe County Paranormal Investigations will talk about their experiences and answer questions about the paranormal. There will be a tour of the Rundel Building's 'hot spots' after the program.
[source: Monroe County Library website, 2013-Feb-11]
- Tonight at 7 p.m. in the Bookstore Gallery at the Visual Studies Workshop is an Opening Reception for The Photobook Awards Exhibition. Meanwhile at the same time in the Auditorium is 16mm Closer To Oscar, "a pre-Academy Awards extravaganza of films about film from the VSW archives." [source: VSW website, 2013-Feb-11]
- Tonight at 7 p.m. in Hoyt Auditorium on the University of Rochester Campus is a screening of Election (1999, Alexander Payne, U.S., 103 min.) followed at 9:15 p.m. by Clueless (1995, Amy Heckerling, U.S., 97 min.) [source: University of Rochester Cinema Group website, 2013-Feb-11]
- Tonight at 8 p.m. in Acanthus Cafe is Open Mic Comedy Night. [source: Freetime website, 2013-Feb-11]
- Tonight at Abilene starting around 8 p.m. is Americana duo Michaela Anne. [source: Abilene website, 2013-Feb-11]
Wednesday, February 20
- Updated: "Performing Bluegrass versions of Classic 80's songs, it's" Love Canon, starting tonight around 9 p.m. at the Abilene. [source: Abilene website, 2013-Feb-11]
- Little Spoon, Eyeway, John Valenti, and Adam Clark will be at the Bug Jar starting around 9 p.m. [source: Bug Jar calendar, 2013-Feb-11]
1,866 total views, 1 views today