Here's what's going on this week:
Thursday, January 24
- This evening from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in Kate Gleason Auditorium in Rundel Library is a presentation of the three-part documentary series Race: The Power of an Illusion, "followed by a discussion facilitated by Professor Timothy Weider, who teaches graduate Education and graduate Sociology at Nazareth College, and undergraduate Sociology at Monroe Community College's urban campus." [source: Friends of the Public Library e-mail, 2013-Jan-16]
- Tonight at 6:30 p.m. at St. Anne Church is a Follow Up Collegetown Neighborhood Meeting.
This is in response to the desires of the neighborhood to revise the building plan which were shown last October. The developer has met with the city, a design review board and members of both the neighborhood and business associations. We have not seen the final prints that will be shown on the 24th but did see the changes that led up to the current plans. The direction is positive and I am confident that the developer will present a product that will be enjoyed by all.
[source: UMHN Calendar, 2013-Jan-21]
- Tonight at the Baobab at 7 p.m. is a Community Dialogue Series titled Profiled: Race In Civic Circles Series — Race and Politics: Jobs, the Economy and Protest Movements, co-hosted with the Rochester Black Journalist Association.
What role do politics have in economic justice? How can people be empowered? What can be done to ensure economic justice? Do our own attitudes about race hinder us from speaking up for change when change is needed?"
[source: Baobab website, 2013-Jan-21]
- In case you were too wealthy to pay a mere few dollars for a reading of The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs at the MuCCC, Geva is now presenting it on the Nextstage for far more money. Showtimes are tonight and Friday at 7 p.m., Saturday and Sunday at 3 p.m., and Saturday at 8 p.m. through February 10. [source: Geva Theatre ticket website, 2013-Jan-21]
- Over at the Bug Jar starting around 8:30 p.m. is The Inner Planets, Jam Level 3, and Shu Lace. [source: Bug Jar calendar, 2013-Jan-21]
- Starting around 9 p.m. at Sticky Lips Juke Joint BBQ is Haewa. [source: Sticky Lips website, 2013-Jan-21]
- And at Abilene starting around 9:30 p.m. is "the Abilene debut of Ithaca rockers" The Sound Awake. [source: Abilene website, 2013-Jan-21]
Friday, January 25
- The Big Picture opens tonight at the Image City Photography Gallery for an Artists' Reception from 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. [source: ICPG e-mail, 2013-Jan-21]
- From 5:15 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Sylark is Friday Happy Hour with Roger Kuhn, and Kenny Carney featuring Mark Cuminale of Dream Girls. [source: Facebook, 2013-Jan-21]
- The Baobab will have another Community Dialogue Series event tonight at 7 p.m.; this one a Last Friday Heritage Jazz Series: The Blues with a discussion by Dr. Carl Atkins and a live performance by his group, Culture Clash. [source: Baobab website, 2013-Jan-21]
- In Hoyt Auditorium on the UofR Campus is a screening of Seven Psychopaths (Martin McDonagh, UK, 110 min.) in which "a struggling screenwriter inadvertently becomes entangled in the Los Angeles criminal underworld after his oddball friends kidnap a gangster's beloved Shih Tzu." Screenings are at 7 p.m., 9:15 p.m., and 11:30 p.m. [source: University of Rochester Cinema Group website, 2013-Jan-21]
- Tonight and tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. and on Sunday at 2 p.m. at the MuCCC is a presentation of Almighty God Bierce.
Ambrose Bierce was an American author best known for his "Devil's Dictionary". He fought in the Civil War and was a prominent author and journalist from about 1868 until he disappeared mysteriously in Mexico in 1913 after a tour of the Civil War sites where he fought. Bierce was a wit and a satirist. He held strong opinions on everything and everybody and did not keep them to himself. Roger Gans as Ambrose Bierce shares many of these opinions and high points and low points of his life on the eve of his departure for a commemorative tour of the southern battlefields where he fought.
[source: MuCCC website, 2013-Jan-21]
- Lewis Black will perform at The Auditorium Theatre tonight starting at 8 p.m. [source: WBER Concert Schedule, 2013-Jan-21]
- A Life in the Theatre begins tonight and tomorrow at 8 p.m., and on Sunday at 2 p.m. at Blackfriars Theatre; through February 10.
This classic comedy takes us into the lives of two actors: John, young and rising into the first flush of success; the other, Robert, older, anxious, and beginning to wane. In a series of funny scenes we see the estrangement of youth from age and the wider, inevitable and endless cycle of life, in and out of theatre.
[source: Blackfriars Facebook page, 2013-Jan-21]
- Nimrod Wildfire performs at the Lovin' Cup tonight at 9 p.m. [source: Lovin' Cup website, 2013-Jan-21]
- Good, crowd-pleasing reggae from Thunder Body will be at the Montage Music Hall tonight starting around 9 p.m. [source: Freetime website, 2013-Jan-21]
- Great classic rock/soul band Anonymous Willpower will be at Acanthus tonight starting around 10 p.m.
[source: band e-mail, 2013-Jan-22]
Saturday, January 26
- Today at 2 p.m. is the matinée screening of the New York Filmmakers Quarterly at the Little Theatre. [source: Little Theatre website, 2013-Jan-21]
- Tonight at 5 p.m. at the Flying Squirrel is the monthly Community Dinner. [source: Flying Squirrel website, 2013-Jan-21]
- In Hoyt Auditorium on the UofR Campus is a screening of Cloud Atlas (Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski, Lana Wachowski, Germany, USA, Hong Kong, Singapore, 172 min.) starting at 6:30 p.m., and 9:45 p.m. [source: University of Rochester Cinema Group website, 2013-Jan-21]
- Tonight at 8 p.m. at the Bread and Water Theatre, Left For Dead Improv presents Famous Last Words. [source: Bread and Water Theatre website, 2013-Jan-21]
- Tonight from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the Yards is See Me in My Office., "an evening of 60s themed collaboration between The Yards, Cure & Bake It Or Cleave It." [source: The Yards website, 2013-Jan-17]
- Updated: Tonight at Skylark at 8 p.m., Rochester's Broads Regional Arm Wrestling League (BRAWL) presents The Snowbrawl, a "formal themed anniversary party" and fundraiser for Alternatives for Battered Women. [source: Facebook, 2013-Jan-24]
- Tonight at Abilene starting around 9 p.m. is Bethesda, then the CD Release Party for Pallavi. [source: Abilene website, 2013-Jan-21]
- The Grinders, New Mike and the Fast Eddies, Rotten UK, good punk-rock from The Emersons, and good, amiable hard rock from The Clockmen will be at the Bug Jar tonight starting around 10:30 p.m. [source: Rochester Teen Set Facebook post, 2012-Dec-28]
- The Ruddy Well Band will be at the Marshall Street Bar and Grille tonight starting around 10:30 p.m. [source: Rochester Music Coalition calendar, 2013-Jan-21]
Sunday, January 27
- Today at 2 p.m. in Rush Rhees Library Rare Books and Special Collections is a talk titled Down the Rabbit Hole with Alice with Jeanne Harper, related to the exhibit, Alice in the Looking Glass: Illustrations and Artists' Books, 1865-2012. [source: UofR website events calendar, 2013-Jan-21]
- Tonight starting around 9 p.m. at the Bug Jar is Comedown's Album Release, Anchorage Nebraska, Sonic Inception, and The Devills. [source: Bug Jar calendar, 2013-Jan-21]
Monday, January 28
- Tonight at 7 p.m. at the Little Theatre is a screening of Soul Food Junkies (Stanley Tucci, USA, 60 min.) followed by a panel discussion with Thomas Banister, Wayne Lewis, and Jesse Allen.
Soul food lies at the heart of African American cultural identity. Filmmaker Byron Hurt sets out on a historical and culinary journey to learn more about the soul food tradition and its relevance to black cultural identity in Soul Food Junkies. Hurt's exploration was inspired by his father's lifelong love affair with the high-fat, calorie-rich traditional soul food diet and his unwillingness to give it up even in the face of a life-threatening health crisis. Hurt discovers that the relationship between African Americans and culinary dishes like ribs, grits, and fried chicken is culturally based, deep-rooted, complex, and often deadly.
[source: Little Theatre e-mail, 2013-Jan-23]
- The Bug Jar will have a Manic Monday Retro Dance with Michelle Z and DJ C. Darren starting around 10:30 p.m. [source: Bug Jar calendar, 2013-Jan-21]
Tuesday, January 29
- Today from 12:12 p.m. to 12:52 p.m. in the Kate Gleason Auditorium in Rundel Library is a discussion of Wall\Therapy in Rochester: The Visual Intervention of Public Art with Dr. Ian Wilson. [source: Monroe County Library website, 2013-Jan-21]
- This evening from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Gandhi Institute is the first class of The Great Awakening: Exploring the Spiritual Traditions of the 6th Century B.C.E. with George Payne. Classes run weekly through March 12. [source: Gandhi Institute calendar, 2013-Jan-21]
- Jim Lane will perform at Abilene tonight starting around 9 p.m. [source: Abilene website, 2013-Jan-21]
- Meanagers, Chika and The Wolves, really great sounding acoustic trio Baby Shark, and Black Bandit and The Stickups will be at the Bug Jar starting around 9 p.m. [source: Bug Jar calendar, 2013-Jan-21]
Wednesday, January 30
- This evening from 4 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Liberty Pole is the Season for Nonviolence Kick-off Gathering. [source: Gandhi Institute calendar, 2013-Jan-21]
- Tonight from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Skylark is a gathering of the Rochester Improvement Society. [source: Facebook, 2013-Jan-21]
- In the Interfaith Chapel at the University of Rochester is a discussion titled Creating a Culture of Peace: Rochester in Twenty Years from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. [source: Gandhi Institute calendar, 2013-Jan-21]
- Underwater Bear Ballet, Barry, and Greyhound Bandits will perform tonight at the Bug Jar starting around 9 p.m. followed at midnight by Wolfkrieg Blitzer and His Mind People Present: Unzip Your Human Suits. [source: Bug Jar calendar, 2013-Jan-21]
- Updated: Hit up the Facebook event to find out the details to see Octavio Radii pt 24, CJ Boyd, Battling Skexies, Black Bandit and The Stickups, Foot and Mouth Disease, and NASA Sent Wolves. (Hint: it's not at Monty's Krown.) [source: Facebook, 2013-Jan-21]
1,722 total views, 1 views today